- The Wooden Shield blocks all projectiles and completely negates their damage. It does not, however, negate said projectile's knockback.
- The Wooden Shield reduces melee damage to the Player by 80%, but only if aimed correctly.
- The Wooden Shield slows movement speed by 30%.
- When the Wooden Shield is used to gather 3,000 Resources, it will turn into the Gold Wooden Shield. Likewise, gathering 7,000 resources with it will turn it into the Diamond Wooden Shield.
- It should be noted, however, that the Wooden Shield cannot actually "gather" resources. Instead, gold/diamond weapons are done based on resources gathered when held, e.g. food gained by killing animals with spikes.
- A clever strategy that can be used to raid/defend against enemies is to have at least one shield-bearer at the front of a group, blocking arrows and turret bullets while archers shoot over the top of them, protected from enemy fire.
- The shield is supposed to be used as a tool against archers, but archers can often kite these shield-bearers and/or flank them. To negate this, one can utilize Boost Pads to close the distance. Combine this with a Katana (which many archers forego for a Hand Axe to improve their kiting) and you've got an effective way to kill archers.
- There is only one known method of obtaining the Gold Shield. You must use a Spike or Turret to kill animals and quickly switch to the Shield before the animal dies. When you get 3k food from killing animals in total it turns into the gold variant. Same goes with the Diamond Shield but, you need 7K food to obtain it.
- Interestingly, if while you have the shield equipped, you switch to another object, say, Cookie, then the cookie will block the damage.
- When have someone trapped in a pit trap, hold up the shield so they won't damage you as much when pushing them into a Spike.
- The shield can be extremely useful in Sandbox since Sandbox servers are practically littered with turrets.
The Golden Shield is one of the hardest to get, as it requires 3k resources while you have it in hand and there are only three ways to do that. One is using poison helmet and switching in last moment to shield so poison kills the animal while you have the shield in hand, and the other way is to use turrets or spikes.
The Diamond Shield is the diamond version of the normal/gold Shield. It blocks the same damage as any other shield. The color of the metal parts of the shield turns blue.
The Ruby Shield is even harder to get than the Diamond one, as it takes 12K resources. The wood turns to a black, obsidian looking color, while the central area is expanded, and the spikes are replaced by 2 plates. Both the central area and the plates are red.
- The Wooden Shield is currently the only "weapon" in the game that cannot deal any kind of damage.
- Interestingly, in the same update that the Shield was added in, Sidney states that he fixed a Shield Projectile Bug. How could he fix a bug when the Shield had been added right then?
- The Wooden Shield is currently the only weapon that cannot be swung. (Clicking has no effect.)
The Shield was added in Update 0.53 on 13/04/2017. It has not changed since then, except a 5% move speed buff at an unknown date (probably after or in v1.6.6).
|Tool Hammer • Short Sword|
| Hunting Bow • Crossbow
Wooden Shield • Stone Shield (Removed)