- The Wooden Shield blocks all projectiles and completely negates their damage. It does not, however, negate said projectile's knockback.
- The Wooden Shield reduces melee damage to the Player by 80%, but only if aimed correctly.
- The Wooden Shield slows movement speed by 20%.
- When the Wooden Shield is used to gather 5,000 Resources, it will turn into the Gold Wooden Shield. Likewise, gathering 10,000 resources with it will turn it into the Diamond Wooden Shield.
- It should be noted, however, that the Wooden Shield cannot actually gather resources. Instead, players must take advantage of a glitch where the game resources gathered by the player to the item he was using at that time. See Strategy below.
- A clever strategy that can be used to raid/defend against enemies is to have at least one shield-bearer at the front of a group, blocking arrows and turret bullets while archers shoot over the top of them, protected from enemy fire.
- The shield is supposed to be used as a tool against archers, but archers can often kite these shield-bearers and/or flank them. To negate this, one can utilize Boost Pads to close the distance. Combine this with a Katana (which many archers forego for a Hand Axe to improve their kiting) and you've got an effective way to kill archers.
- There is only one known method of obtaining the Gold Shield. You must use a Spike or Turret to kill animals and quickly switch to the Shield before the animal dies. When you get 5k food from killing animals in total it turns into the gold variant. Same goes with the Diamond Shield but, you need 10K food to obtain it.
- Interestingly, if while you have the shield equipped, you switch to another object, say, Cookie, then the cookie will block the damage.
The Shield was added in Update 0.53 on 13/04/2017. It has not changed since then.
- The Wooden Shield is currently the only item in the game that cannot deal any kind of damage.
- There is a hidden variant of the Wooden Shield, called in the Datafiles "Shield 2." This weapon appears to be an upgrade of the normal shield.
- Interestingly, in the same update that the Shield was added in, Sidney states that he fixed a Shield Projectile Bug. How could he fix a bug when the Shield had been added right then?
|Tool Hammer • Short Sword|
| Hunting Bow • Crossbow
Wooden Shield • Stone Shield (Removed)